tyrannosauruslexxx made a great video about how to love yourself.
These same nine things are the exact things I went through to start loving me! I thought she outlined them very well. I will bullet-point them for you here with some of my own thoughts.
HOW TO LOVE YOURSELF 101 (per tyrannosauruslexxx)
- Stop putting yourself down.
- Replace negative thoughts with things that you like about yourself. Or at least follow-up the negative comments with a positive comment about yourself.
- Treat yourself. Indulge in something for yourself. Give yourself “me” time.
- KATE NOTE: For example, I take myself on a date at the beginning of every month. I also take pole dancing classes (find out what they’ve done for me here) once a week for an hour. As for “me” time, I don’t say “yes” to things when they interfere with “me” time and I choose to sleep by myself a few nights a week.
- Look at how you relate to others. Treating others in a positive way will help you treat yourself in a positive way.
- KATE NOTE: This will also help others treat you positively. (Insert cliche saying “Treat others how you want to be treated.”)
- KATE NOTE: This helps me with my road rage. :D When I am getting angry, I try to be nice and pretend they are in a hurry because someone is in labor in that vehicle and that’s why they’re driving like an asshole and cutting me off (or trying to). So I let them cut me off, with a smile, because in my mind there in a pregnant woman having 10 sec contractions in that vehicle. And I breathe, in, and out. Just like I imagine the woman in the vehicle in breathing.
- Don’t be afraid to get rid of rubbish people in your life.
- Have goals – big and small.
- Know your worth. Demand more from the world and people around you.
- Pick certain people who you look up to and emulate them in certain situations.
- KATE NOTE: “WWKD?” What would Kate do? You can even emulate me if you want. Find your inner Kate.
- Fake it til you make it. This applies for #1 through #8. Do these things even if you don’t believe yourself, and you’ll start believing yourself because you deserve to love yourself and be happy.
MY ADDITIONS TO THIS LIST:
- If you don’t have a mirror – get one! If you have one and it’s covered up – uncover it!
- Make eye contact with yourself in the mirror.
- If this makes you cry, cry. If this makes you uncomfortable, ask yourself why it does. If this makes you want to punch the mirror, don’t. If this makes you happy, be happy.
- Smile at yourself when you look in the mirror.
- I had no idea that not everyone did this until I was bartending one night and it came up in conversation. Try it. Seriously – it works. :D
- Stick a positive note on your mirror that will make you smile! Here are some ideas:
- You are smart.
- You are kind.
- You are important.
- You look great!
- All this and brains, too.
Check out the video below!